A word to Euridice


English translation: Martha Cecilia Rivera


A WORD TO EURIDICE
Should beauty collapse
to make escaping possible?

Insomnia writes on flames.
Who can understand the oblivion’s geography?
I’ve been destined to the eclipse,
abject sentinel of my hopelessness.

No one will ever believe me:
I transformed music into a shadow
I turned my head in search for redemption.



NO ONE HAS A NAME AT THE BEGINNING

I learned that the light is death
That I am an invention of fear
That every mystery is dying

That all that is real is always a lie

Rain has carved out my hands this evening
And fragility is the only survivor

I fight against the waters’ heritage
I challenge my own thirst
I am the abyss’s ambassador

In the blackness, the wind calls me
But ¿Who has a name at the beginning?

I learned that the word from the deceitful
Will never be a deserted region
And that spring is betrayal

The end is the only delusion left

¿Since when did I become a question?





© Gonzalo Márquez Cristo